Monday, May 17, 2010

Resting in Jesus



(Stacie post)  It’s 4:24 AM.  I guess the results of jetlag are setting in.  I crashed at 7PM, woke up to eat dinner and kiss my girls goodnight, and then awoke again at 3AM.  So instead of lying in bed wondering when I’d fall asleep, I thought I’d hit the computer to put some of my thoughts on paper. 

I can’t help but continually think about all the wonders God showed us during our time in Sri Lanka.  This trip took our understanding of our father to a whole new level, as we saw his love displayed through the many people we encountered on a regular basis.  These are some of the stories that replay over and over in my mind …

1. Tiffany and I individually had the opportunity to pray for a wonderful couple involved in ministry in Sri Lanka.  Their names are Sanjeewa and Sureshini.  The husband runs the cafeteria at Tibni’s school and they were in a huge financial bind … so much so that they didn’t know how they would continue to pay the $200/mo. rent on their space (keep in mind, this is a lot of money for Sri Lanka).  So we prayed.   Tiffany even specifically prayed that we would see an answer to this prayer before we returned home to the U.S.  The very next day, the couple called Bandu’s cell and they were squealing with joy.  Not only had their landlord decided to reduce their rent, he also (without even being asked) decide to REFUND them half of their ENTIRE rent from the previous year.  Stuff like this just doesn’t happen!  But in God’s world, He loves to give his children more than they could ever ask or imagine.

2. We got the honor of witnessing the baptisms of some 20 new believers.  In this small church, entire families are turning their lives over to Christ.  Oftentimes, it begins with the new belief of one child.  Then the family and friends are so overcome by the transformation of this child that they all say yes to Jesus.  We met everyone from former witch doctors to strong Buddhists to ex-cons who have had their world rocked by our precious savior. 

3. Two days before our trip ended, we went to the botanical gardens in Kandy.  Not only did we want to explore these extravagant gardens, but I wanted to take some pictures of Bandu and Angel’s family.  At one point, we wanted a group picture under an enormous tree.  We saw some teenagers in the distance, so Angel asked if one of them would come take our picture for us.  After doing so, Bandu put his hand on the shoulder of this young man and began to speak to him in their native language of Sinhala.  Bandu could see a Buddhist necklace on him.  But even stronger, he sensed the presence of the Lord ripening his spirit.  He then asked this 24-year-old man if we could pray a blessing over him.  He agreed.  So we prayed that God would bless his family, his work (he and his family own an onion field) and his life.  We also prayed that God would reveal himself to him and move powerfully in his life.  After praying, he told us we should visit his onion farm.  Bandu explained that we were leaving soon, but invited him to come to his house sometime – maybe even bring some onions to them.  They exchanged phone numbers and the boy and his two friends walked away.  As they walked away, Bandu exclaimed “He’s going to call.  I just know it.”  We later prayed for him and asked God to burn so deeply in his heart that he would call before we left the country.  Two days later, we were eating dinner at McDonalds – on our way to the airport – when Bandu’s phone rang.  It was him.  The joy that welled up in our spirits was more than I can explain.  He told Bandu that something told him he needed to call.  He also said he felt like he needed to come to Bandu’s house to see him.  And then he asked Bandu to share again what we prayed over him.  When Bandu got off the phone, he said “He is going to come to my house, accept Jesus as his Lord and savior and BIG things are going to happen!”  And we know they will.

There are so many stories we could share.  But I think the final thought that God is pressing on my mind is of the time we spent washing the feet of every woman who came to the women’s conference.  One of them was Bandu’s sister Mala.  After Bandu’s parents died, he was placed in the care of his aunt and uncle.  Then they died.  So their children, Mala and Chintha (Bandu’s older cousins) raised Bandu.  (And if you want to hear the TRULY miraculous story of their conversions, please ask Tiffany or me.   You won’t believe it!!)   Now, they are caring for the 6 boys at the orphanage.  On top of that, Mala did almost all of the cooking for us while we stayed at Bandu’s home.  She is a servant at the deepest level of the word.  She enjoys giving for a living.  Mala does not have much (financially that is), and she has never asked for anything.  So being on this women’s retreat was a very big deal.  It was the first time she has ever stayed at a hotel.  And it was likely the first time in a long time that someone else had cooked for her.  When Tiffany and I knelt down to wash Mala’s feet, the three of us could not contain our tears.  It’s hard to explain what God did in that moment.  All I can say is that He showed us the core of his nature.

It’s 5:21 AM (I also managed to squeeze in a Skype conversation with Bandu – who just shared another incredible God story with me).  I hope I can go back to sleep.  But if I don’t, the other thing this trip taught me is that God can move powerfully when I am at my weakest.