(Stacie post) As I type this, I am sitting in Bandu and Angel's living room. Birds I have never heard before are chirping outside while the sounds of honking tuk-tuk's (small 3-wheeled taxis) make their way through the crowded streets of Kandy . Next to me is my cup of 5:30 PM tea. But when I say tea, don't think of our tea. Think of something more like Chai without the spices. The tea here is rich and creamy, and made from the tea leaves picked nearby. "Tea bags? No. We do not use. That is not like real tea." Yes, Angel has ruined me forever! I'm not sure any tea could ever live up to what we experience here every day at 7AM, 10:30 AM and 5:30 PM.
Tiffany is upstairs napping in our room. Our bodies are still trying to adjust to the time change. I think I have slept about 8 hours in the last 3 days. But thanks to God - I feel a constant surge of energy inspired by the new sites and sounds I am taking in moment to moment. Here are some that stand out the most ...
- Driving. It is like nothing I have ever experienced. Here the rule is ... biggest car wins. There are lines in the middle of the road, but nobody pays attention to them. Cars just shuffle where they please and the drivers have somehow mastered this crazy road dance. Bandu says if you can drive in Sri Lanka , you can drive anywhere in the world. I don't think I will test his theory.
- Hospitality. Sri Lankans are the most hospitable people I have ever met. Bandu, Angel and their family are constantly thinking about how they can make our stay comfortable. "I found a better pillow for you. Please use this one." "It is my pleasure to serve you. May I please make you more tea?" "Where do you want to visit? Wherever it is, just tell us and we will take you there." These words straight from the hearts of servants. Not because it is custom ... but because it is in their hearts.
- Tibni and Tushiya. These are Bandu and Angel's daughters - ages 12 and 3. If I could pack them into my suitcase and bring them back home I would do it in an instant. They call me "Stacie Auntie" and my heart melts. Tushiya (the youngest) is wide eyed, high energy and very 3. This is the same across the world. Tibni is oh so sweet. Innocence, joy, kindness and beauty are some words that come to mind. She and Emma have started an email friendship and she already considers Emma one of her best friends. This blesses me beyond belief.
- Food. It's one thing to go to "Gateway to India " in Gig Harbor . It's entirely another to sit around the table in Sri Lanka eating 3 meals a day that are lovingly prepared by Angel and Bandu's sister. Every new flavor explodes in our mouths ... fruits and vegetables purchased daily at the local marketplace, curries of every kind (chicken, beef, eggplant, bean, potato, beet - the list goes on), roti (a bread made from flour, coconut and coconut oil), string hoppers (similar to pasta - made from flour and salt), dal (lentils) ... the list goes on. I wish I could stay here long enough to try everything. But with more than 50 types of bananas alone, I'd have to get a permanent visa! Speaking of bananas, I have never tasted anything like these before. As Tiffany said, "I feel like I am eating a banana for the first time." So sweet. So heaven. Food is a very big deal here, so needless to say, we fit right in.
I’ll sign off for now. Tiffany will post next. Many blessings to all of you and we thank you for all of your prayers. We are truly seeing the power of them in all that is happening here. And we can’t wait to share more about that with you soon!
PS - The above picture was taken at Kandy lake, near the local marketplace.

